Wednesday 29 August 2007

My First day at work!

I’ve been dreaming of having a job that I joined today! So I really have been looking forward to entering office for the first time as an employee … for almost a month now, I’ve passed by the building wishing I’d be a sitting in a cubicle inside it some day!

Why is it so special… hmmm for starters, I can walk down to office. Yeah I didn’t risk it today coz it was the first day. Took me 5 mins on my Honda Activa… home gate to office entrance!!! I was in so excited that I didn’t even want to park in the visitors section. But no amount of persuasion prompted the security guys to let me into the employee section without a badge… but they apologized instead… yeah, must have realized how jumpy I was about working at NXP Software. I’ve decided to walk to office from tomorrow… my daily doze of exercises … I can’t really stop grinning even as I type this post out.

Started the day with a 3 hr session of usually induction formalities. Practiced my signature around 50 times on 50 different forms… there were 2 others who joined with me. One of them was to join my team and the other was appointed to do very similar work as I had to in a different team. I really felt that the welcome was warm. The HRs really took time to see that we were comfortable. Now, it’s not the first time I felt this warmth. I had 2 practice interviews (at other companies) before giving this interview a shot last Wednesday. After a 2.5 hr technical grill, they decided I was the one. It was followed up with a nice team intro and I was really surprised when team members came to meet me immediately after the interview… after another 30 min session abt the company and structure and finding out where I’d fit in the best, I was taken to lunch. It was followed with another hour of HR interviews, the usual I should say, I am much better at this round that the techie ones. When I walked out of that place I knew I was gonna grin away to glory for the rest of the day. Sure enough I got a call and the letter the next day. But unfortunately it was a holiday on Friday and the pre enroll med tests delayed things by another 2 days… so it felt like ages before I actually felt employed.

The teams are very small, but the members are real value for money. I just watched how the guys interacted and went about usual business all afternoon. All I know is that I have to really be at my best to match any of their achievements. Just as good as they are individually; they sure compliment each other so well with their strengths. The business hours are usually. 9am-6pm, Monday through Friday, thanks to the transport service the company provides. But in those 9 hours (an hour or so for lunch an walk after that) I should believe it’s always work considering how much work is done. Naah, it’s just as much fun with people walking around cracking their smart jests, with the surrounding junta joining in the laughter ever so regularly. The CEO of the company called me into his chamber and spoke to me in such an informal manner that I was overwhelmed. I REALLY FELT GOOD! An ideal first day! No matter how I am going to feel about this place a few months later, this is a day to cherish.

Yeah a few more freebies from the HR along with a drinking water bottle and a calendar with quotes completed the goodie package for the day! I am so looking forward to beginning work tomorrow, my manger came walking upto me this afternoon and said chill out for the rest of the day and get to know people, and you’re here to work for the rest of your life anyway!!!!!!!! AMEN

5 scribbles:

Lakshman said...

Congrats! n All The Best :)

JY SEA said...

Way to go Danny boy!!!God be with you.........

PizzaDude said...

Whoa!! Picture Perfect! :D

dannyboy said...

@all: Thank u, thank u!

Anonymous said...

Congrats DannyBoy!!
Feels good to read this :)

~Bala